Other Retro Pages
RECIPES FROM THE RETRO HOUSEWIFE
Apple Strudel With White Wine, Italian
- 250g Flour
- 90g Butter
- 500g Apples
- 15g Sugar
- 1 small glass white wine
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Powdered Sugar
- The skin of one lemon, grated
- Pour the flour on a clean work area (large cutting board) and press a hole in the middle. Pour the following ingredients into the hole: warm water, 60g "flaked" butter, an egg yolk and the pinch of salt.
- Mix the flour and the ingredients into a consistent dough (until the dough forms small bubbles). Form the dough into a ball and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Spread a dish towel over your work area and dust it lightly with flour. Place the dough on the towel and roll it out as thin as possible with a rolling pin, and continue until the dough is almost transparent. Don't let it tear, though.
Melt 1/3 of the butter and brush it onto the dough.
- Filling: Peal and cut the apples into thin slices. Add sugar, cinamon, white wine and grated lemon rind and cook until you have a thick, lumpy sauce. Set aside to cool. Spread cooled filling out evenly over the strudel dough.
- Using the towel as a guide, carefully roll up the strudel, and place on a greased cookie sheet and brush with melted butter.
- Place the strudel in a pre-heated oven and bake at 180 Celcius until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot.
Contributed by gourmondo.de, 2000
HAVE A COMMENT, QUESTION OR RECIPE OF YOUR OWN?
Send it in!
I would like to thank Newspaperarchive for putting together such a fabulous service, and placing our Nation's history right at our fingertips. Many of these wonderful recipes are ones I stumbled upon quite by accident while sleuthing through the decades in my quest to assemble the world of the American housewife. RH
|All Christmas Recipes|
All Italian Recipes
Price: $0.00 at gourmondo.de
|© Retro Housewife 2003-2014|