|All Recipes Appetizers Main Courses Side Dishes Dessert Recipes Jams, Jellies, Preserves Recipes Salads Sauce Recipes Soup Recipes Baked Goods BBQ Recipes Beverages Herbs and Spices All Menus|
Other Retro Pages
Other Recipe Sources:
RECIPES FROM THE RETRO HOUSEWIFE
Tom Kha Gai (Lemon Grass Soup), THAI
This is a Thai recipe for Tom Kha Gai (a.k.a. Lemon Grass Soup) that I translated from German into English. Funny, eh? Lemon Grass Soup is DEEELISH!
1. Slowly heat 1 Liter of chicken broth, with the 3 stalks of lemon grass (quartered), the sliced Galanga root and the torn wild lime leaves. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Dice the chicken breasts and at to the hot broth mixture along with the lime juice, sugar and fish sauce.
3. Let cook uncovered for about 10 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and heat slowly.
4. Add 300 grams of sliced mushrooms, and 6 finely chopped, small red chilis. Bring the soup back up to temperature, but do not boil.
5. Serve the soup in a soup bowl with a small dish of basmati rice on the side. Dip a small spoonful of rice in the soup and eat. The lime leaves, lemon grass and Galanga root are not eaten. You can place a small dish on the table to collect them as the soup is eaten. Bon Appetit! (Serves 2)
Contributed by Frau Petra Adler, 2000
HAVE A COMMENT, QUESTION OR RECIPE OF YOUR OWN?
I would like to thank Newspaperarchive for putting together such a fabulous service, and placing our Nation's history right at our fingertips. Many of these wonderful recipes are ones I stumbled upon quite by accident while sleuthing through the decades in my quest to assemble the world of the American housewife. RH
|All THAI Recipes|
|© Retro Housewife 2003-2014|